Friday, February 3, 2012
Doctor Appointment
Today I was totally discouraged as I sat in the waiting room for my doctors appointment. I looked and saw 10 pregnant women. Of the 10 there were 5 that were clearly overweight, maybe even obese. I can't know if they were overweight before pregnancy or if they have over indulged during pregnancy but it made me very sad. How did Americans get so unhealthy? Then two of the other ladies sitting next to me were going on and on about how they got pregnant right after getting out of drug rehab. What kind of situations are these children being born into? I'm thankful that they are having the baby after rehab and I hope they stay clean. I'm not there to judge what things people have been through. Unfortunately after being a teacher it's hard not to look at their future children and see them sitting in your classroom 5 or 10 years from now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rachel, I have really enjoyed reading your blogs about exercising while being pregnant. I was actually talking to a co-worker about how I find it so fasciniating that you have continuted to exercise the entire length of your pregnancy and continue to do so even being 30+ weeks. I am curious though, do you find it more challenging to run and exercise while maintainig your balance. I've never been pregnant, so I imagine placing a basketball or bowling ball on my stomach and try to exercise. I can't imagine running with that extra weight through my midsection. I have you huge props for staying active. I only hope that if/when I do have children, I can stay as active then as I am now.
ReplyDeleteHeather, I think you will find it easier to exercise when pregnant than you might think. If you have already been active your whole life then you almost go more crazy just sitting around then getting out for a little exercise! I don't have trouble with my balance, but I also choose exercises that keep me moving in one direction, such as walking or running. Running I do have to be careful because it seems to put a lot of strain on my ab muscles. I don't know if this is anatomically correct, but the best way for me to describe the pain when running is "it feels like my abs are ripping in half". It doesn't hit until about 5 minutes into the run and that is why at this point I only run about 5 minutes. Something about that pain just doesn't seem right! My piece of advice for you pay attention to diet. I have not gained a lot of excess weight with either pregnancy and it makes a huge difference! I eat enough to fuel myself and the baby, but not so much that I have a lot of excess that just results in fat. Good luck with any future pregnancies!
ReplyDelete