Tuesday, January 24, 2012

33 Weeks and READY for the end....

This is my first time ever creating a blog.  I read a few blogs of friends, but it is a little intimidating to me to post something for the public to read.  I will try to figure out how to add pictures and maybe make my page a little more interesting in the next two weeks.

Unfortunately for everyone else my life is pregnancy and therefore that is my subject to blog about.  I'm reaching the end of this pregnancy and therefore everything is getting harder.  I can tie my shoes, but not by bending over, only by crossing my leg across my lap.  For someone who has been active their whole life....it feels a little depressing.  Don't get me wrong I am excited for this baby to come and everything that pregnancy means, but I don't enjoy the disruption to my normal exercise routine.  So through this blog I plan on tracking my own exercise and provide tips for those in a similar situation.

I am a member of a Fitness Center which has been key to keeping up an exercise routine through this pregnancy.  When it comes down to it, I like to run.  That is always my preferred method of exercise.  Unfortunately due to low back pain, running is difficult to accomplish during pregnancy.  This pregnancy I ran into my 6th month.  Although by the end it was a mere mile.  So I supplemented with group exercise at the gym.  It was really good.  I started to enjoy Step and Kickboxing.  My favorite class was Group Power.  That is something you should check out if your gym offers it.  Recently the classes have been hard to attend (and I can't lay on my back for abs at the end) so I've been sticking to 45 minutes on the elliptical or the treadmill.  Today I proudly say that I actually ran 5 minutes!  I got antsy and couldn't just keeping walking so I crept up the speed and actually ran.  It was pain free and I had a sense of accomplishment when I finished.  Life is good and I'm feeling a little more like I might survive this pregnancy!

So my exercise tips for this post include don't stop!!  Just because you are pregnant it does not mean that you can't exercise.  It is good for you and the baby.  I think people are more accepting in this day for pregnant women to exercise but I still get a few bad looks and comments.  If you are concerned then talk to your doctor and pain is not a good sign, but otherwise keeping exercising!!!  My second tip, which is my own saving grace, is stretching.  My lower back is out of alignment due to my legs not being the same length and some other complications.  Pregnancy puts a lot of pressure on my back and causes a lot of pain, so stretching is what keeps me being able to move.  Stretching my hamstrings relieves a lot of the pain in my lower back!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are finding ways to keep fit and active! thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Rachel! I can't wait to hear more about your pregnancy and exercising as you get closer to March! I plan on being pregnant by the time I finish the ESU grad program next spring so keep me posted! I could use all the tips and advise you have!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! My roommate is in her 38th week and is trying to use exercise as a way to make the baby come faster! She's never been very active, so the walking she's doing now is making her extra tired. She keeps saying that after the baby, she's going to start a regular exerice routine. I may have to hold her to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that it is great that you are exercising while you are pregnant. My wife is athletic and was very active during her pregnancy. She regularly jogged and did yoga. It was a great pregnancy and she encourages anyone who is pregnant to stay active.

    ReplyDelete